Why can`t life be easier sometimes?
Oh yeah right, cause ìt`s my life! :) LOL
I was going originally going to NAIT to do DMS (Diagnostic Medical Sonography), then I found out about OH&S (Occupation Health & Safety) and just fell in love with the idea of doing that kind of work. I was SO excited to be moving forward with this new direction.
I talked to a company called Ledcor, that had an information booth set up in my school`s main lobby on Thursday about OHS people that work for them. It sounded exactly what I was hoping for. Flying around to different job sites in Alberta & British Columbia. Out working in the field, great responsibility, good public relations, etc. But I would have to do shift work, like being flown into sites for 10 days and then off for 4 days. Which I was just fine with, all with one exception. My kids.
So of course at the great children exchange this weekend, the ex & I had a big talk about it all. I explained that I would like him to be able to take the kids while I go off to work out of the city. Not a big deal, right? Cause I mean after all, I have been the sole caregiver and looked after the kids plenty while he worked out of town, right? Of course he would step up and be able to provide the kids a stable home while I`m out at work, by living in the same city as us, and being able to take the kids to the same schools their use to, and do all the things I expect of him. RIGHT?!
Pfffffffftttt
No promises, no guarantees, blah, blah, blah....
UGH!
So now what? Do I move forward with DMS or OHS? I really wanted to do the OHS thing. It had such a great appeal to me. But DMS provides greater structure for my kids..... I guess I`ll go into the OHS department on Tuesday, and see what there is around the city to do with OHS. See if I can get into any jobs still in the oil field or construction, or similar here around Edmonton. I mean if I had to inspect restaurant kitchens with my OHS education I would SO NOT be happy with my career choice. I obviously need to find a job where I can come home to my kids each & every night, to care for them. Since it seems like I just magically asexually reproduced them by myself, and that kind gentleman down the road takes them once a month just to make me happy... I guess.... LOL I`m a bitch, I know!
My Dad and I had a wonderful talk about it. He was excited for me about OHS, thought it would be a good career choice for me, as I have been talking about it in the last few weeks. But he did help me to put things into perspective. My kids have and always will need me. I have been, and by the sounds of it will always be their main caregiver, in all the ways a mother can be. I have always put my kids first, and that we both know that I always will continue to put my 4 loves in top position. How could I not? They have been and always will be my whole world. They truly are the 4 pieces of my heart!
So I will see what OHS says this week, and continue on like I`d be going into DMS I guess. Why not? Clinical hours, the pay is excellent, opportunities are terrific, and I just know if I put my heart & mind to it, I can do anything I want... right? :) RIGHT!
Men can be total assholes! I feel for you, taking a compromise in the career field myself for the kids, namely Banjo. You're spot on thought when you say that the kid's needs and stability are what matters most. I'm sure something just perfect will come your way and you'll full happy and fulfilled. You know where you can find great OH & S jobs? Hospitals. All sorts of challenges and responsibilities with diverse tasks yet office hours.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately for us, with the dads being in the army, we are the kids' security. I know you were excited about the OHS but I also don't think that you would be happy being away from the boys that much. I don't think you will have any problems finding something you love and still maintain this amazing balance you have with the little gremlins, even if it is not doing the DMS job either - there are lots of opportunities out there! Take your time and look at everything! Google "Alberta Occupational Profile" - lots of info!! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteKim