The boys, my sis & me.

The boys, my sis & me.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

OHS & Me

Well I just had a terrific day. I was a student buddy at the OHS program, from 9am-3pm. Wow, I'm so excited to be going into this field of work. It really intrigues me, there is so much to be done with it. There are many different avenues I can go with this, and they all sound really exciting to me.

So let me tell you about my day. I started off with a second year student meeting me at the OHS office. I was a bit nervous, because I didn't know how she would take being paired up with me. But she was super informative and extremely friendly. For me that was really good. LOL I followed her into their first class. She told me that they were doing presentations in the first 2 hour block. So there were 5 power point presentation in that time frame. I thought "oh dear... this is going to be really boring"... But it wasn't at all. It was more so about the students showing that they new how to give proper presentation and that they knew how to use power point, rather than the content of the presentations. The presentations were really interactive and fun. It was hard to believe that this was actually a serious class. Their presentations we, how to do a proper squat, yes squat, like you'd do in a gym. So everyone had to stand up and do it the way it was taught to us. So you know I was thinking... uh, what? LOL But I did it.

The other presentations, were, learning to braid hair with thin licorice. How to bake cupcakes, and she handed out cupcakes. Oh we learned how to make origami jumping frogs. I made two. Then we learned how to set up and put together the reins and bridle for a horse. Complete with groups having their own bridles, bit and reins. LMAO Of course I was thinking, this is cool! But of course it was more for the presenter to show they knew how to pull it all together and use the power point, and be interactive with the class. So I know my day will come in the second year where I'll be teaching students on how to do something.

Then it was a 1 hour break. I sat with 3-4 girls from the class. I totally picked their brains on why they decided to be part of OHS, how the application process was, what they thought of their course loads, how much homework they get a night, etc. It was so informative to be able to sit with the girls and talk to them.

Then after the break we went to another class, it was about doing a report about a mock up accident, with the members of the groups being key players in the accident or mishap. They all had to write extremely detailed reports about the accidents. So it was very cool to see what they were expected to do. They didn't do it. But they were going to do it early next week. So I got to be part of their briefing about it. I asked questions about what this or that acronym meant, just so I could fully understand what was expected from them. Another great class.

I was asked to attend a third class with not my student buddy, cause she was done for the day and didn't want to attend the last class. But another girl that I was chatting with. So I headed into an sit down area to wait for that class to start. She showed me all her notes, what they were doing in each class. Explaining terms, and procedures. It was so informative again. I really appreciate that she showed me all that. It was really cool. Then just as we were getting ready to head into that class. Which was all about the 2nd year students making their own safety procedure manuals. The teacher from the 2nd class came to our table. I just thought he was going to talk to the girl I was sitting with. But he asked me what I was doing and asked if I'd like to attend the class with the first years, about legislation. So the girl said I should go to that instead so I went off with the teacher.

That class was interesting too. It was all about the transport of dangerous goods and materials. Or TDG as they called it. How the Mississauga train crash in 1979 really threw legislation into making & enforcing TDG laws, the different signs & symbols that are expected to be used in TDG and what they all meant. After that it was time to head home.

So here I am now, writing out all about my day, and how much I really enjoyed myself. I am super excited about this career path, and I can see how doing the 2 year BTech course part time after getting my degree in OHS will benefit me extremely! Honestly, I didn't want to have to go back to my academic upgrading, I just wanted to stay as part of the OHS program! LOL But yes... *sigh*... I know I know.... just do the time in the upgrading, and have the patience that I need to get there in life.... But come on! I want to do it now!! LOL FINE! I'll wait.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment